Friday, February 27, 2009

A label that I dislike

I have not updated my blog for quite a while, and finally I m going to update my blog, and it is about something that bothers me to the extent that I couldn't sleep today.

What would you feel if someone says that you are 'fierce' because you once scolded and shouted at an amateur driver for speeding at 120 km/h along the highway at 1'o clock in the morning?

And that person was, of course, sitting in the backseat of the car.

I felt utterly annoyed and shocked of his labelling me as 'a fierce girl' just because of this incident, yet I still have to put on a i-am-not disgusted-and-i-don't-mind face for fear of losing this person as a friend.

I am not here to defend myself or to express my dislike against this person but to put things straight.

So, do you think it is appropriate to label a person as fierce for shouting for his/her life in a car driven by a young driver who is speeding? Maybe you are thinking it could be some other incident that prompt this person to label me as being fierce but I am very sure that there are no similar occurrences. Besides, I only have known this person for barely half a year. I simply couldn't understand how can this person reach a conclusion so fast.

Sometimes I couldn't comprehend why people like to label others, and worse still if such labelling persist for long. It is like sentencing a person to death row for something he/she had done wrongly just once. Maybe the thinking that first impression lasts the longest do have some truth to it, but I think it is not fair to the victims who are wrongly or instantaneously labeled for some minor wrong doings.

To sum up, I definitely do not think that one should label someone without getting to know the person more. To my friend who had disturbed my sleep tonight, please do not take my disgust too personally because this blog is intended for me to write down my thoughts in a reflective manner as I treat this blog like an open-to-public diary.



1 comment:

  1. yup
    i agree with you
    i really hate it when ppl like to label us
    but yeah, of crse
    what can we do

    ReplyDelete